Non-Resident Taxation In Toronto, Ontario

Non-Resident Taxation Toronto, Ontario, CA

Our Services


All taxpayers in Canada file their own personal tax returns. There is no such thing as a joint return as in the U.S. Tax instalments are commonly paid by self-employed taxpayers and those with high pension and investment income which is often.

Read more



Listed below are the back issues of newsletters we mail out in PDF (Adobe Acrobat) format. It is full of useful tax information. .New HST Regime, CRA Audits, 2010 Taxes & HSTReal Estate Agent, 2009 Federal Budget & Taxes

Read more


Effective September 1, 2012 the IRS implemented new streamlined filing compliance procedures for U.S. taxpayers living outside of the U.S in recognition that some U.S. taxpayers living abroad have failed to timely file

Read more


Within 90 days of any assessment or reassessment, you can appeal any corporate or personal tax or HST assessment or reassessment by the CRA internally to the Appeals Division. Once you appeal

Read more


Non-resident owners of personal use or rental properties will pay capital gains tax on sale but there is a grocery list of compliance rules for rental properties. We are here to help you navigate non-resident issues including the following matters:

  • Withholding tax issues;
  • Non-resident Canadian Agent issues
  • NR 4 & NR6 filing;
  • Section 216 non-resident tax returns;
  • Required filings for the sale of a rental property by a non-resident; and,
  • Non-resident certificate of compliance (commonly referred to as “Tax Clearance Certificates”).
  • The filing requirements for non-resident owners of Canadian Real Estate can be onerous and extremely complicated. We are experts in these filing requirements as well as with advising on the tax consequences of selling real estate. Please be advised there are firm deadlines for these filing requirements. Feel free to e-mail the head of our non-resident tax department at

    We can provide services in many languages including Mandarin, Russian, Polish, Hebrew, Albanian, Italian and Greek!


    Canadian residents emigrating have to consider the tax impact of retaining a Canadian residential property. The Principal Residence Election is an annual election and upon emigration, by definition is not available to non-residents. Therefore, for each year the emigrant owns the Canadian residence, a larger percentage of the gain on the sale will be a taxable capital gain because of the averaging effect of the Principal Residence Designation Form T2091. They need to consider the consequences of selling the Canadian residence versus changing its use to rental property. As well, other Canadian based assets would have to be considered. For effective tax planning before becoming a non-resident, do not hesitate to contact the head of our non-resident tax department at

    Contact Us...